What's the proper term for “brain waves” read from an EEG?

What's the proper term for “brain waves” read from an EEG?

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

An EEG records the electrical activity of the brain. An EEG shows voltage differences as a function of time and shows what have become known as "brain waves".

Is there a scientific/technical word/phrase for one of these measured "brain waves"?

The terminology around EEGs is variable, dependent on the context;

  • Brain wave is fine, but has a bit of a popular undertone;
  • Oscillation, as per the deleted answer, implicitly refers to a longer-term behavior, i.e., something periodic (EEG);
  • Waveform is often used to describe a single event with a recognizable shape (ERP, compound action potentials, etc.);
  • EEG signal/recording/trace is more than fine too, it doesn't carry any implicit meaning about its nature, it does carry relevant information on the method used;
  • EEG is fine too, EEG means electroencephalogram, the 'gram' suffix comes from Greek, where it means “something written,” or a “drawing”, so literally it means something like "graph of the electrical brain". So simply speaking of 'the EEG' is OK as well.

This list may not be exhaustive, merely illustrative


  1. Gardabar

    So what is next?

  2. Fegul

    I am about this I know nothing

  3. Rowley

    It does not disturb me.

Write a message